Additional Resources on Vanka and the Murals
Duquesne University affiliates may access any of the materials below off-campus, but will need to first enter their Multipass username and password when they click on some of the links..
QuickSearch Online Catalog
Two Pieces by Louis Adamic
Adamic was a friend of Vanka, who based his novel, Cradle of Life, on the early life of the artist. Adamic also wrote two shorter pieces about Vanka:
1. Adamic, Louis. "The Millvale Apparition." Harper's Monthly Magazine, 1 December 1937. pp.476-486
You can find this article in: Periodical Archives Online
2. Adamic, Louis. " My Friend, Maxo Vanka," in My America, 1928-1938. New York: Harpers, 1938. pp.156-186. 2nd Floor, Gumberg Library. Call number: E169.1 A14
3. Holy Pittsburgh--St. Nicholas Church and its murals are discussed in a short segment in the WQED video entitled Holy Pittsburgh. This program is available on videocassette through the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh and suburban municipal libraries. Click here to search the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh catalog.
Scholarly Journal Articles
4. Brett, Edward. "A Monument to Catholic Social Justice: The Maxo Vanka Murals of St. Nicholas Croatian Church, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania." American Catholic Studies, 122.1 (2001), pp.101-107.
5. Dyen, Doris J. "Aids to Adptation: Southeast European Mural Painting in Pittsburgh." Folklife Annual, (1990), pp.10-29.
6. Zecker, Robert M. "It Was Our Parish, After All" Immigrants and the Catholic Church. Pennsylvania Legacies, 15.2 (Fall 2015), pp. 26-31.
7. McKee, Andrew Robert. "Kolosalno! There is Something Here...Power, Energy, the Future!" Haunting, Steel, Progress, and the Urban Religious Landscape. University of Missouri-Columbia, 2013.
8. Cook, Heidi. Peasants and Politics: Croatian Ethnography and Nationalism in the Work of Maksimilijan Vanka. University of Pittsburgh, 2011.
9. Cook, Heidi. Picturing Peasants: Maksimilijan Vanka’s Folkloric Paintings and the "Croatian Question" from Habsburg Empire to Croatian Nation-State. University of Pittsburgh, 2016.
10. All Other Articles on Maxo Vanka in Gumberg LIbrary databases
The EBSCOhost link below will search all EBSCO databases for any article mentioning Maxo Vanko. The Reader's Guide Retrospective link will do the same. When you click on the ProQuest Central link, a search will not be run, and you will need to enter the artist's name, then click "Search" to see the articles. . To learn how to know if full text is available in any our our resources, click here.
Source for Maxo at Work: http://www.croatia.org/crown/articles/10255/1/The-Society-to-Preserve-the-Millvale-Murals-of-Croatian-painter-Maxo-Vanka.html
Source for Self-Portrait: http://www.mockerdabson.com/books-more