Gumberg Library Strategic Plan
with strategic priorities for 2022-2023
VISION: Gumberg Library will elevate student, faculty and staff success and enhance the reputation of Duquesne University.
MISSION: Gumberg Library empowers Duquesne’s pursuit of scholarly and creative achievement, intellectual exploration, and service to our community.
1. Teaching and Learning: Gumberg Library will contribute to student success through innovative instruction and faculty and staff partnerships that focus on learners as critical and creative thinkers and scholars.
1.1. Develop opportunities for intellectual exploration that inspire learning and the life of the mind beyond the traditional course of study.
1.2. Integrate library teaching, learning and assessment throughout the curriculum through a variety of course modalities.
1.6. NEW: Begin to implement library services needed to support the Masters in Biomedical Science and College of Medicine.
2. Library Spaces: Gumberg Library will offer collaborative virtual and physical spaces that inspire research and learning.
2.4. Collaborate with the College of Medicine on the renovation of the 3rd floor.
2.6. Collaborate with campus partners to create strategies for ensuring the safety of students and staff in the library’s physical space, with particular attention to student needs and underrepresented populations.
2.8. NEW: Develop a plan to improve student and employee spaces on the first and second floors.
3. Access to Information: Gumberg Library will provide an expert level of service that enhances the discoverability of information and connects users to needed resources.
3.1. MODIFIED:* Continuously develop a functional and responsive web presence for library resources.
3.5. NEW: Evaluate library systems and create a plan for transitioning to a new ILS in July 2023.
3.6. NEW: Begin to license and purchase library collections needed to support the Masters in Biomedical Science and College of Medicine.
4. Special Collections: Gumberg Library will develop and preserve rare and unique primary sources and specialized collections curated by experts.
4.1. Identify unique collections and materials for acquisition, particularly those reflecting the University mission or related to existing collection areas.
4.3. Make unique collections more accessible through a variety of discovery tools.
5. Research and Scholarship: Gumberg Library will participate in original research and publishing efforts, make the scholarly activity of Duquesne accessible, and enhance the scholarly impact of the university.
5.3. Develop and market expert services in support of specialized and emerging research and scholarly trends.
5.6. MODIFIED:* Offer programming in research data management to the university community.
6. Engagement in Community: Gumberg Library will collaborate with campus and regional communities to create meaningful activities and relationships.
6.1. Develop mission-related community outreach programs, both on campus and in the local region.
6.3. MODIFIED:* Highlight existing engagement efforts to encourage further collaboration and enhance the university and library standing.
7. Organizational effectiveness: Gumberg Library proactively adapts to changing needs of library users, based on professional standards and sound stewardship principles.
7.1. Provide education and opportunities to staff that enhance library services and improve workflows.
7.1.1. Actively encourage library staff and faculty to participate in university sponsored training activities (e.g.,MyLEAD, CTE, Education & Technology, CTS, etc.).
7.2. MODIFIED:* Measure library effectiveness and space usage through systematic data analysis and standardized library and university metrics, and develop a strategy to share the context and story behind library metrics.
7.4. MODIFIED:* Continue developing strategies for increasing equity, diversity and inclusion in library staffing and library services.
7.4.1. Elevate the voices of historically underrepresented communities at Duquesne and in the Pittsburgh Region by acquiring, preserving, curating, and promoting culturally-relevant information resources.
7.6. NEW: Develop a strategy for increasing staff retention and enhancing organizational culture.
7.6.1. NEW: Develop a plan to implement the new Workplace Committee recommendations equitably throughout the library.
Note: Because GLSP numbers are used in individual performance reviews and in unit, department, and committee annual reports, we made the decision to create new numbers for modified and new goals and tasks. Please see previous year’s plans for missing numbers, indicating they were completed or modified goals/tasks.
May 3, 2022