Skip to Main Content

Finding Dissertations

A Gumberg Library research guide

Subject Databases

Subject-Specific Databases that Index Dissertations

A number of the most comprehensive databases to the literatures of specific disciplines contain dissertation abstracts as well as citations to articles, books, and book chapters. These databases are listed below. When searching any of them for dissertations, make sure to use the Advanced Search interface rather than the Basic Search screen, to which you will usually be taken when you click on a database link below. To search them off-campus, you will need to enter your Multipass username and password when you click on a link.


American HistoryAmerica History and Life

Education: ERIC: Education Resources Information Center

Language, Literature & FolkloreModern Language Association International Bibliography (MLAIB)

Music: Music Index

Music: RILM Abstracts of Music Literature

Nursing and Allied Health: CINAHL: Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health (Students in Global Health Ethics should always search this database as part of their dissertation review process.)

Political Science: Worldwide Political Science Abstracts

Psychology: APA PsycINFO

Sociology: Sociological Abstracts

Theology: Theological Research Exchange Network (TREN)

Search Tip

Search Tip

To search any of the databases above for dissertations and theses, go the database search interface by clicking a link in the box above. Enter your search terms in the search fields. Then, to limit your search to disssertations, scroll down the screen to the "Publication Type" menu. Look for a document type such as "Doctoral Dissertation" or "Dissertation" in the menu. Click on that document type. Then press Search or Enter to run you search, which will be limited to just that type of document..

Screenshot with arrows pointing to "Publication Type" and "Doctoral Dissertation"

For Global Health Ethics students doing dissertation reviews, in the CINAHL database, the publication types you should look for are "doctoral dissertation" and "master's thesis."

ask gumberg

Need Help?

Button "Ask Gumberg" Click to Access