Gumberg Library Strategic Plan
with strategic priorities for 2018-2019
VISION: Gumberg Library will elevate student, faculty and staff success and enhance the reputation of Duquesne University.
MISSION: Gumberg Library empowers Duquesne’s pursuit of scholarly and creative achievement, intellectual exploration, and service to our community.
1. Teaching and Learning: Gumberg Library will contribute to student success through innovative instruction and faculty and staff partnerships that focus on learners as critical and creative thinkers and knowledge producers.
1.1. Develop opportunities for intellectual exploration that inspire learning and the life of the mind beyond the traditional course of study.
1.2. Integrate library teaching, learning and assessment throughout the curriculum addressing the diversity of student learning styles and course modalities.
1.3. NEW Make available opportunities for personal and professional development for University staff. (DUSI 4)
2. Library Spaces: Gumberg Library will offer collaborative virtual and physical spaces that inspire research and learning.
2.1. Create a masterplan to develop comfortable spaces that address the diverse learning and study needs of the student population.
2.3. NEW Work with Advancement to secure funding for master planning and building renovation projects.
3. Access to Information: Gumberg Library will provide an expert level of service that enhances the discoverability of information and connects users to needed resources.
3.1. Develop a functional, responsive and beautiful web presence for the library.
3.2. Develop innovative methods to provide access to information to support the changing needs of researchers.
4. Special Collections: Gumberg Library will develop and preserve rare and unique primary sources and specialized collections curated by experts.
4.1. Identify unique collections and materials for acquisition, particularly those reflecting the University mission or related to existing collection areas.
4.3. Make unique collections more accessible through a variety of discovery tools.
4.4. Develop a digital preservation strategy and funding source for resources collected or created by the Library.
5. Research and Scholarship: Gumberg Library will participate in original research and publishing efforts, make the scholarly activity of Duquesne accessible, and enhance the scholarly impact of the university.
5.2. MODIFIED, see 5.4
5.3. Develop and market expert services in support of specialized and emerging research and scholarly trends.
5.4. NEW Lead campus efforts in the adoption of OER.
6. Engagement in Community: Gumberg Library will collaborate with campus and regional communities to create meaningful activities.
6.1. Develop mission-related community outreach programs, both on campus and in the local region.
6.2. MODIFIED Develop and participate in community engaged research, teaching and learning, incorporating a library component into existing projects and developing new projects.
6.3. NEW Highlight existing engagement efforts to encourage further collaboration and enhance the university and library reputation.
7. NEW Organizational effectiveness: Gumberg Library proactively adapts to changing needs of library users, based on professional standards and sound stewardship principles.
7.1. Provide education to staff that increases sensitivity to creating an inclusive culture, impacts hiring practices, and enhance library services.
7.2. Review and assess budget models to maximize flexibility, efficiency, and sustainability in alignment with University needs
7.3. Participate in campus-wide sustainability initiatives, incorporating best practices into library operations (DUSI 5)
May 30, 2018