When looking for compositions with a generic title (sonata, symphony, concerto, trio, etc.), you can truncate your search or add a wildcard character.
- Truncation: Shortening a search word and adding * or ? at the end will allow PacifiCat to retrieve singular, plural, and variant spellings. For example, Sonat* will retrieve sonata, sonatas, sonatina, Sonaten, etc.
- Wildcards (or, how do you spell “Tchaikovsky” again?) An asterisk * or ? can replace any number of letters at the beginning, middle, or end of a word. For example, tch?sky andsymph? 4 will retrieve Tchaikovsky’s Symphony No.4.
- Combined (Boolean) Searching with AND and OR: Combine words using ANDand OR. AND will narrow your search while OR will broaden it.
- Rodgers AND Hammerstein will retrieve records with both names
- Rodgers OR Hammerstein will retrieve records with either one or both names