The Pittsburgh Catholic Newspaper
Michael O'Connor, First Bishop of Pittsburgh
Image source: Wikimedia Commons, scanned from the National Cyclopedia of American Biogrphy, 1896; in the public domain
Founded in 1844 by the first bishop of Pittsburgh, the Pittsburgh Catholic has been in continuous circulation since then. It is not only the official newspaper of the Pittsburgh Catholic diocese, and a valuable primary source for Catholic history in Western Pennsylvania, but it is also a source for general social history for our region.
The Gumberg Library of Duquesne University has digitized the contents of the Pittsburgh Catholic from 1844-2001.
The Gumberg Library owns a complete run of the Pittsburgh Catholic on microfilm. These are housed in cabinets on the 1st floor of the library and may be read, and copies of articles can be made from them, on a state-of-the-art reader/printer on the 4th floor. See the Reference Desk (4th Floor) for help in using this.
Coat of Arms of the Diocese of Pittsburgh.
Image source: Wikimedia Commons; created by Alekjds, used under a Creative Commons Attribution 1.0 Generic license