(Photo credit: Pittsburgh Music Information file in the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh - Music, Film & Audio Department)
This collection features materials covering the dates 1858-1983 about Paul Koch, his father Caspar Koch, Edwin Henry Lemare, and Franz Xavier Haberl.
Paul Koch, born 1912, was a graduate of Schenley High School in Pittsburgh. He studied music at Carnegie Tech (now Carnegie Mellon University) and later received his Masters in Literature at the University of Pittsburgh. He was awarded a fellowship to study organ at the famous Leipzig Conservatory with Gunter Ramin. After two years, he went to Paris to study with Marcel Dupré for one year. He took over the position of Music Director and Organist at St. Paul’s Cathedral in Oakland after his father Caspar Koch retired and remained in that position from 1949-1989. He served two terms as Dean of the Western Pennsylvania Chapter of the American Guild of Organists from 1947-49.
In 1944 he taught piano and organ at the Pittsburgh Musical Institute. He served as Director of Music at Mellon Institute from 1950 until 1975. He was also a member of the guest faculty that participated in the summer Liturgical Music Workshops in Boys Town, Nebraska. He performed at the dedication of the Boys Town Collection in March of 1990 at Duquesne University.